More Power, Longer Life
Double-ended grow lights are over a decade old, but because of their power, they were only used in commercial grows. They've been redesigned for small-scale use and now they're available for personal grows. Compared to standard single-ended grow light bulbs, double ended grow lights will give you ~19,000 more lumen output compared to single-ended grow lights. What makes them crazy popular is the efficiency of the light used under the same wattage as standard HID grow lights.
For example, a DE grow light typically offer 90% lumen maintenance at 10,000 hours of use. Standard single-ended (or mogul) lamps offer 85-90% lumen maintenance after just 4,000 hours (Source: Everest Fernandez "What Exactly Are Double-Ended DE HPS Grow Lamps?" 2014)
Pro Series Double Ended Grow Light DesignTaking a quick glance, Yield Lab double ended pro series grow lights offer a very familiar design like other double-ended grow light fixtures in the market, like the ever-popular Gavita light. However, if you look a little closer you'll notice a few key features that set Yield Lab apart from other double-ended lights out there:
- The fear of rust or degrading equipment is non-existent with the Yield Lab- Powder coating allows the fixture to be resistant to any extreme humidity and temperature in a grow room or garden.
- Each reflector is made of high quality polished "hammer-style" MIRO aluminum- These reflectors provide a strong angular light reflection for canopy penetration (96% efficiency). Essentially, "Hammer-Style" texture has the best light reflection. Take a look at the small dimples in the reflector: they actually help provide added light refraction and give your light a suitable environment for even distribution. That's why professional grow tents and reflective hoods are often covered with this texture.
Pro Series Double Ended Grow Light Features
- Adjustable dimming ballast (600w, 750, 1000w, 1150w)
- 120v/240v compatible
- 1000w HPS DE bulb included
- Integrated Ballast and Reflector (no need to install a separate reflector and ballast)
- 3 point hanging system with hangers included
The Challenges (& Solutions) to using a Double-Ended Grow Light SystemThe biggest challenge when using a double-ended grow light is the extra amount of heat it produces. The heat is an issue for a lot of smaller grow rooms and we wouldn't recommend it for those who are unwilling to control their temps. There are no cooling options either so you either have to have an external AC running in your grow area or have the grow lights mounted in a high roof grow room. The initial cost is more than a standard 1000w hps grow light kit but less than an LED. It's not so much of a challenge because it pays for itself over a short time. But it is something to consider when making a big investment in producing more flowers or fruits in your garden. You love the idea of a double-ended grow light system but you can only grow with a 600w grow light due to electricity and heat. Plus, a 1000w grow light system might not fit your budget as far as maintenance goes. Most growers would tell you to govern the ballast by dimming it to a lower wattage. This is not the right way to go. Like I mentioned before, you'll lose life expectancy and ruin the rated light spectrum the bulb is supposed to emit. What you should do instead is invest in a 600w DE grow light system instead. This may sound obvious, but you'd be surprised how uncommon a 600w DE grow light kit is. We are currently carrying a limited run of these 600w kits, so if you're in the market for one-- check it out at GrowAce.com.
OverallTHE GOOD / The Yield Lab 1000w DE Pro Series Grow Light Kit's sturdy build quality and massive PAR and lumen output is ahead of most competitors. The integrated design makes it an easy setup and more appealing than regular mogul HPS grow light systems. THE BAD / It's intense penetrating lights come with a price = heat. No option for air cooling leaves you with limited use if the temperature is a concern. You would either have to run a split AC unit or grow in a large enough space to hang the light higher above your canopy and account for the heat. THE BOTTOM LINE / Indoor growers looking for a sturdier, high performing HPS grow light system for intense flowering production will find that the 1000w Yield Lab DE Pro Series is a worthy upgrade to any grow room setup.
- Reflector size: 13" (L) x 10" (W) x 5" (H)
- Only suitable for use with 1000 watt double ended EL lamps:
- No acoustic resonance
- More than 25% brighter compared to traditional lamps
- Light maintenance after 10,000 hours >90%
- Professional 1000 watt high-frequency electronic ballast.
- Including high-efficiency MIRO aluminum horticultural Yield Lab reflector (96% efficiency).
- Includes Yield Lab 1000 watt double ended EL lamp.
- Microprocessor controlled with electronic safety circuit.
- Driver efficiency >95% and is adjustable to 600/660/750/825/1150W.
- Power: 1000 watts (High efficiency)
- Expected Life Span: 24,000 hours
- Lumen: 130,000 lumens
- Color Temperature: 2,100K
- Contains 30% more blue spectrum
- Best choice for Plant Yield
- High output, high luminescence efficiency
- Fit for all standard 1000 watt HPS grow light systems
- Pass UL and CE
We are sorry to hear about that we want to make sure we get this resolved for you. Contact us at email@example.com and we will get you taken care of."
I’ve got a bulb that lasted about a week and then burned out. How do I contact the manufacturer for the warranty?
You most definitely can as long as the 600w double ended MH/HPS is powered by the 600w ballast then you will be good to go!"
Can I run a 600 watt DE hps/mh in a 4by4by6.5 grow tent if it is air cooled
Hey, great article so many of my questions have been answered by skimming through and finally reading. I have this book marked for further references.
Great question, Michael! All grow lights generate lots of heat, and Yield Lab 1000w Double Ended grow lights are no exception. The Yield Lab Open Hood light kit offers better heat dissipation so that your grow lights stay cooler while they run, and will add to the temperature of your grow room. If you’ve got insulation that cannot take lots of intense heat, you’re going to want to hang your plants around 2ft. away from it to assure it doesn’t mess with your drywall. If there’s not enough room to hang them without harming your plants, you may want to consider either downgrading to a 600w or adding more ventilation (fans) near your grow lights so that the heat generated from the grow lights is combated with fresh, cool air and doesn’t damage your drywall or styrofoam
This site is amazing, product features are good. Sometimes I was proffered indoor grow site, this site is also selling good products. Shipping and Returns services also available. it’s a nice blog.
Clearance from insulated drywall or reflective backed styrofoam
Am I reading this correctly that it can be used with both the 240v and 120v plugs? Or am I going to need to re-wire some outlets to take the 240v plug?
“Hey Mike— solid questions! Still waiting on the exact BTU per hour per watt value from the manufacturers, but what I can tell you is that it takes approximately 4,000 BTU’s of air conditioning to maintain temperature with this unit.
The warranty period for the unit is 3 years. The warranty for the Yield Lab DE HPS Lamp is 1 year.
We will update our Yield Lab DE product description to highlight this information but the recommended height above the grow canopy should be 36"" or 48"". The foot print, if used as a primary light source can cover up to a 6′×6′ area."
“You mentioned in your rewiew the main downside of the doubled ended hps grow light is the additional heat generated. Does it exceed the value of 3.412 BTU per hour per watt that is reported by some sources? If so by how much?
You also gave the Yeild Lab system reviewed a 9.0 warranty rating, but I can’t find what the warranty period is. Do you have that information available?
Some manufacturers provide information regarding the effective foot print area and recomended height above the growth canopy. Does Yeild Lab provide the same information for their DE system?”